So…. It’s been over 6 months since I’ve blogged… Whoops! How quickly time flies! The big news is, my daughter Kimberlee is marrying Joe, the love of her life in October. They decided not to do the traditional Wedding Cake, and will instead have a dessert buffet. She asked me if I could figure out how to make a Paper Cake for the centerpiece on the Dessert Table.
Not even knowing what a paper cake was, I did a google search to get an idea of what she was talking about. I found several that were very pretty (and EXPENSIVE) but got my creative juices flowing.
Kim bought a set of nested boxes, but I didn’t like how close in size they were, so I wound up not using the middle sized box, and instead used a Costco Peanuts tin for the top.
I had some VERY OLD paper with a beautiful design from my old Scrapbooking Days but it was the wrong color. (I actually had several pieces all different colors) So…. I used some Gesso and painted over the paper and the color was perfect.
John suggested that I use music paper for the bottom layer with a little gesso over it to soften it. I loved that idea cuz my whole inspiration was the musical paper fans. This tied it together.
So after painting the paper and adhering it to the boxes, I made the fans from an old music book that I bought at a used book store. I edged the fans with some silver German Glitter which will patina to a beautiful deep steel gray. (Their colors are burnt orange, graphite gray and ivory)
The hardest part was trying to figure out how to add the wire arch without making it look like it was just glued on. Because that’s a metal tin, I was able to punch holes on either side, and using a coated 10 gauge wire, I pushed the ends through and used duck tape and hot glue to secure it inside the tin. I wrapped the wire with some Tulle and then just wrapped a string of pearls around that.
Kim wanted a vintage looking Bride and Groom, so once again I did a Google search and found the perfect couple. I resized it, printed it out, then reversed the image and printed it out again. I sandwiched some wire between the two images, and punched two tiny holes into the top of the can and adhered with duck tape and sponged a little ink around the edges to finish it off.
The flowers were quite challenging as I had nothing even close to their color scheme. Originally I was thinking of using crepe paper flowers that we made for the place settings, but in a tiny size, but that just didn’t seem to work. I looked through my stash and found a packet of old Prima (or was it Petaloo?) flower petals I think they were hydrangea petals? (four petals to each *flower*?) But they were totally the wrong color, so I painted each one in a pretty Steel Gray (from Golden), Nutmeg (Making Memories) and an Ivory acrylc. I layered the petals and place a tiny pearl in the centers, but it just seemed to *stark* for me. I have this really cool clear glitter from Martha Stewart, so I added that in the middle and it gave it a pretty little sparkle.
I also sprayed some old tiny paper flowers with some Adirondak Color Wash. I tried it with orange flowers, but it still looked too orange, so I tried using the Sunset Orange spray over red flowers and it was perfect!
Joe (the groom) is really into comic books, so using a very old daisy punch, I punched some flowers and layered them and added them with the other flowers. They are subtle, but represent him and his love for comic books. I used lots and lots of book pages as Kim is an avid reader, and most of the teeny tiny flowers were made from pages of a romance novel. I used the same daisy punch, but layered 3 layers, folded them in half, then folded into thirds and added a tiny spot of hot glue to hold them together. Then I smooshed and fluffed them and added little pearly stamins that I pulled off of an old wedding veil that I bought at Goodwill.
Funny thing is, I found an OLD rubberstamp that I’ve had for probably around 15, 20 years and have NEVER used it (sometimes it pays to be a hoarder haha). It stamps a scalloped, spiral that you cut and then roll and it turns into an amazing teeny tiny little rosebud. LOVE it!!! I also still have my old Quilling Tool and it’s perfect for rolling up the flowers.
Committing to the hot glue was the hardest part. I was so scared to actually start glueing, but when Kim was over, she said, Just do it! So…. I just did it. Somehow, magically, it came out looking exactly how I was hoping it would. I added a few little strips of music paper to tie it all together. Oh…. and I had a super thin piece of wire I had pulled out of a piece of wired ribbon, and applied Glossy Accents, then dipped into the clear glitter and LOVE it!!! It looks so lacy and delicate. (it’s on the left side of the topper)
Kim ordered some aMAZing trim that was perfect for the edging around the top layer. There wasn’t enough to go around the bottom layer, so I wound up cutting it up, but I think it looks pretty.
You can find the trim here:
All in all I’m pretty happy how it turned out. Now it’s on to decorating the Bird Cages for the cards…